I quit my job and decided to go backpacking. Below are my updates from the trail. I hope to just post enough pictures and details to make you all jealous. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokecamp/ - Joe

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rotorua and Waitomo


Riding up for the Luge, originally uploaded by jokecamp.

The dollar continues to gain against the New Zealand dollar so I got that going for me. A few days ago in Waitomo a small group of us did black water rafting. That involved tubing inside a cave river. We started by climbing up two water falls inside the cave then floated down narrow ceilings and tight corners. The glowworms were an amazing flouresnt green. The climax of the trip involved a 3 meter drop backwards into darkness. My head vibrated from the impact of the water for a good minute afterwards.

I also did several runs on a downhill luge. There was an intermediate and advanced course. The intermediate was ideal for racing but the advanced course was quite fast and curvy. As you went down the hill you would see the signs that screamed at you to slow down for the turn but I always told myself they were more guidlines. Needless to say on a couple turns I was eating dirt and still have a few bruises but it was great fun.

I'm in the center of the North Island now in Taupo. It lays on lake Taupo, the biggest lake in New Zealand. I plan on hanging here for about a week.

No comments: