I quit my job and decided to go backpacking. Below are my updates from the trail. I hope to just post enough pictures and details to make you all jealous. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokecamp/ - Joe

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ice Climbing on Fraz Josef Glacier


Ice Climbing, originally uploaded by jokecamp.

We stayed in Franz Josef for four days. Luckily the rain stayed away just long enough for us to get onto the glacier and do an ice climb. The day started with an hour walk through a lush rain forest. After the trek we entered onto the 16 km long glacier. We put out crampons, helmets and gortex gear then headed straight up the ice to our climbing spot. The climbing was a lot different from rock climbing. The key was to keep your heels down and dig the toes into the wall of ice and take small steps as you work your way up using the pick axes for more balance and grips. It took me several climbs and some soar arms before I started learning how to use my legs more to my advantage. I did well and made it up all the courses but there were a couple moments where I probably would of fell if not for the safety line.

We were lucky on our timing for the trip because the next day the rain poured down and the glacier river flooded all the way up to the town.

From Franz Josef we headed south to Wanaka. It is a small town settled on Lake Wanaka, a glacier lake. The color of the lake is an impressive blue and the water was freezing cold. I didn't last long swimming there.

Next stop is Queenstown. The adventure capital of the world.

No comments: